Good Looks: 3 Tips to Transition From a Summer to Fall Wardrobe

Summer is almost over — it’s time to pull out your fall wardrobe! Most people easily transition their wardrobe from spring to summer, but struggle when transitioning from summer to fall styles. September feels too early (and warm) to completely make the switch to wearing fall pieces, so fashion experts recommend keeping an eye on the trends and slowly introducing fall staple pieces into your wardrobe.

To make the transition from summer to fall wardrobe a seamless experience, you should first take a look at the current state of your closet. It’s safe to assume your closet is filled with this summer’s wardrobe staples: bright colors, fun handbags, and loose fitting clothing.

Luckily, a recent Harper’s Bazaar article highlighted the best trend takeaways from the autumn/winter 2022 fashion shows. A few trends are here to stay as we move into a new season—making it easier to transition our wardrobes. You should expect to see statement neutrals, classic looks, layered looks, and bright colors!

You don’t need to completely revamp your wardrobe with every new season (that would be a major headache). Instead, let’s go over three helpful tips that will make your transition from a summer to fall wardrobe easy:

Foundational Pieces

Every closet should have foundational pieces that are regularly incorporated into looks. These pieces should carry over from season to season! During a transitional period between seasons, you should rely on your foundational pieces to slowly begin introducing the new season’s trends.

Here’s a quick checklist to help determine whether you have the recommended foundational pieces in your closet:

  • Neutral shirts (long sleeves, short sleeves, tank tops, and possibly a turtleneck)
  • Trench-style coat
  • Simple black dress
  • Comfortable jeans
  • Trousers
  • Loungewear
  • Cross-body bag
  • Simplistic gold or silver jewelry
  • Button-up
  • Light jacket
  • Comfortable heels
  • Sneakers

If you had to select five pieces of clothing from your wardrobe to wear for the rest of your life, what would they be? While statement pieces are great for expressing a person’s style, foundational pieces are a great place to start building an outfit. These are your go-to pieces!

Have you ever come across those days when you don’t know what to wear? We’ve all been there. Simply choose a foundational piece of clothing and add something seasonal or trendy to complete the look. When in doubt, rely on your foundational pieces to help make the transition from summer to fall smooth.

Select a Few Seasonal Items

Fashion experts agree that 70 percent of a person’s closet should be composed of basic, foundational pieces. The other 30 percent of your wardrobe should contain all of the fun, seasonal, and trendy pieces.

After you’ve confirmed your closet has every foundational piece you need, you can start shopping for seasonal items that complement your existing wardrobe!

One of the major benefits of relying on foundational pieces to base your seasonal looks on is that you have more room to invest in luxury items that will stand the test of time. Whether you’re looking for an autumn-colored sweater, blazer, biker boots, or bodysuit—investing in luxury fall fashion items will elevate your existing wardrobe. You only need a few seasonal items to complete your fall wardrobe!

You shouldn’t dread the transitional period between seasons. If you start to get creative and play with your wardrobe, you can have a great time mixing and matching pieces you wouldn’t traditionally pair together. This period is the perfect time to pair biker boots with skirts or summer shorts with a fall sweater.

Invest in Seasonal Handbags

High-quality handbags will carry your looks into the next season (pun intended). One of the best ways to introduce fall elements into your wardrobe is to invest in a ​seasonal fall luxury handbag.

You’re swiftly making the transition from fall to summer when you sport a seasonal fall handbag—it doesn’t really matter what you pair with it! If you want to collect a luxury handbag collection, we recommend starting with a fall/winter handbag and a spring/summer handbag. You could also opt for a classic black handbag that can be worn anytime, anywhere.

Transitioning your wardrobe between seasons doesn’t have to be difficult: rely on your foundational pieces, sprinkle in a few seasonal pieces, and invest in a high-quality seasonal handbag to make the most of every outfit.